Is there a better way to spend a chilly winter weekend than baking? The warm kitchen, the delicious smells, the sweet rewards!
Food blogger Ami Zielinski of Greenskis knows a thing or two about the joys of baking when the weather turns unfriendly. She came up with this wholesome berry muffin recipe on a snowy Sunday afternoon in her hometown of Orange, NSW. They make a healthy snack (well, healthy by muffin standards) and are vegan, too. But best of all they are absolutely scrumptious! A big two thumbs up from the hardtofind. team.
Berry, almond & applesauce muffins
1 1/2 cups (225g) wholemeal flour
3/4 cup (90g) almond meal (it’s easy enough to throw whole raw almonds into the food processor to make)
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 cup (60ml) coconut oil (you’ll need to melt it first)
1/4 cup (60ml) maple syrup
1/2 cup (150g) unsweetened applesauce
1/2 cup (125ml) almond milk
1 1/2-2 cups fresh or frozen mixed berries
Flaked almonds or coconut flakes for a crunch on top.
- Preheat oven to 175°C/350°F and line a standard 12-hole muffin tray with paper cases.
- Combine flour, almond meal, baking powder, baking soda and pinch of salt in a bowl. Mix well and set aside.
- In a larger bowl, stir together the coconut oil, maple syrup and applesauce.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients and the almond milk to the applesauce mixture, using a spatula to fold evenly without overmixing.
- Gently stir in the berries.
- Spoon mixture into prepared paper cases about two-thirds full. Sprinkle tops with the flaked almonds or coconut.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Remove from oven to stand for 10 minutes.
Winter baking essentials
1. Pink chevron 68-piece partyware package, $39.99
2. ‘Bakeball bat’ rolling pin, $39.95
3. Cookie stamps in various designs, $31.95
4. Pink & white baking cups, $15.30
5. Personalised ‘mixer’ notebook, $29.95
6. Dry-measure ‘matryoshka’ cups, $19.90
7. ‘Queen palm’ silver cake server, $70
8. Bamboo measuring spoons, $13.95
9. ‘Chevron grande’ neon coral apron, $17.95
10. ‘I love you more than cupcakes’ A6 notebook, $5.50
11. Medium-sized cake stand in red, $76.95
12. An April Idea ‘cupcake’ print, $19.95
Ami Zielinski is the mastermind behind Greenskis, a blog about green lifestyle. As a mother of two boys, Ami is motivated to shop locally, eat healthily and raise sustainability awareness. You can visit her blog at greenskisgo.com
Hardtofind is Australia’s leading online curated marketplace for gifts, fashion and homewares.