Re-styling your sofa to update your living room
A re-design is the perfect way to refresh and revive your living room without the cost or stress of starting again from scratch. With the sofa the focal point of a lounge room, we started with a neutral-coloured lounge to show you how one sofa can be used to create multiple looks.
Combine hard-edged items such as a drinks trolley or cube vases with softer furnishings, such as throws, cushions and rugs. An ottoman or side table are the perfect place to house your magazines and trinkets. Easily add drama to your room with lighting, while a rug can tie the whole look together.
Take a look at how the hardtofind team would style their sofas.
“I’m going for a mod take on the Gatsby theme, with Art Deco elements and splashes of gold for a touch of 1920s glamour. I’m loving the drinks trolley. Martini anyone?!”
- Block lamp, $299
- Lipstick girl charger plate, $91
- LEFF Amsterdam one glass convex clock, $219.95
- Juju hat wall hanging, $630
- Electra table lamp in bone raw silk and gold, $590
- Chinese girl cushion, $126
- Solitaire wine glasses (set of 6), $78
- Great Gatsby ceramic urn, $389
- Tapestry print in blue patina, from $22
- San Gino bar cart, $1280
“I love a calm, neutral look in the lounge room, with baskets to hold newspapers and magazines, lavender or frangipani-scented candles and a china cup for my English breakfast tea!”
- Fleur de coton prouvenco candle, $39
- Cafe print, from $50
- Black toile linen cushion cover, $49.99
- French map 1881 poster, $65
- Lipstick print, from $55
- Cafe de la Tour clock, $105
- Peace lily in a white flower bucket, $79
- Linen ottoman, $690
- Rattan oval storage baskets (set of 3), $ 297
- Wonderland cup and saucer (set of 2), $44
- Natural hemp jute rug, $349
- Stone lamp, from $165
Hattie, Art Director
“My beach-side abode spills over with lush plants and clashing colours. Hooks heave with towels and swimmers, bowls overflow with trinkets, and I always have a few candles on hand for Friday night balcony drinks.”
- Ceramic hanging planter in dash, $49.95
- Umbra subway wall-mounted hooks, $49.95
- Copper-plated station-style wall clock, $135
- Trio rose gold cushion, $49.95
- Viking ornament, $35
- Escano cowhide ottoman in grey, $595
- Porcelain bowls in fading colours (set of 4), $59
- Bottle and bishop vases in yellow timber, $550
- Coastal walk Clovelly circle print, from $75
- Wee Willie Winkie candleholder, $42
- Dandelion large rug, $740
- Cactus in Arizona, $49.95
Sofa available from Freedom.
March is Design Month at hardtofind! We’re exploring the latest trends and up-and-coming finds for 2015, as well as classic looks from around the world that never go out of style. Check out all our design month posts here.
Hardtofind is Australia’s leading online curated marketplace for gifts, fashion and homewares.