Countdown to Christmas: our favourite festive season decorations
Santa’s not the only one who needs to start making lists… the Christmas countdown is on and nothing gets people more jolly than a decked-out home. So to ensure you’re ready for December 1 (the traditional day that Australians put up the Christmas tree) we’ve rounded up the silly season must-haves: cute kitchen utensils, gorgeous baubles, beautiful home ornaments and even quirky Christmas tree alternatives for those who don’t want the mess of pine needles. No need for you to check twice – we’ve sorted the naughty and nice.
Christmas decorations for your home
You may want to keep it simple and understated with seasonal bunting and clever wall hangings or spread the Christmas cheer to every room with multiple decorations – no matter, we have it all.
- ‘Chevron’ gold bunting, $18.95
- Santa ‘Gurra’, $35
- Handcrafted ‘ribbon’ wreath, $45
- ‘It’s the most wonderful time’ quote board, $50
- ‘Sing Christmas angel’ hanging cards (7 pack), $18.95
- ‘Mistletoe kiss’ Christmas cushion cover, $44.95
Christmas tree decorations
Whether you prefer traditional tree decorations, handmade ornaments or decorations within a chosen colour scheme, we have something unique and magical to add to your tree. We love the stunning porcelain decorations from Danish ceramicist Anne Black for an understated Scandi-style look, while the Aussie-inspired decorations from Make Me Iconic add colour and fun for a summery Australian Chrissy. Whatever your preference, here are our basic guidelines that will guarantee Christmas tree perfection every time:
- Always start with the lights. Begin with the lowest branches and work your way up and down, ensuring you wrap around all the main branches.
- Place your garlands evenly around the tree, be sure to make your spacing even between each.
- Lastly, add your Christmas baubles and decorations. Don’t forget to add your star or angel to the top of the tree and voila! Now all you need is presents for under the tree…
- White ‘heart’ hanging decoration (3 pack), $15
- Chalkboard Christmas ‘Dove’ decoration, $16
- Iconic ‘Aussie Christmas’ decorations (5 pack), $40
- ‘Santa Tomte’ hanging decoration (3 pack), $25
- ‘Mushroom’ Christmas decorations (2 pack), $16.95
- Danish ‘jul’ tree, $60
- Red ‘Christmas bauble’ decoration, $12
- Personalised bespoke ‘map’ decoration, from $32
- Red ‘raccoon’ Christmas decoration, $10
- Handcrafted double-sided ‘star’ decoration, $40
- Angel doll with red dress and love heart, $29.95
- Scandinavian Christmas decorations (4 pack), $19.95
- ‘Apple’ Christmas decoration (4 pack), $29.95
- Anne Black porcelain ‘butterfly’ (6 pack), $55
- ‘Mittens hanging’ decorations (4 pack), $30
Christmas in the kitchen
Everyone knows the kitchen is where the real Christmas magic happens: be sure you’re prepared for before, during and after Christmas lunch with on-theme kitchenware, aprons, oven mitts, utensils and storage for the inevitable Christmas leftovers.
- Handmade ‘ham’ eco storage bag, $49.95
- ‘Christmas tree’ oreo chocolate mould, $13.15
- ‘Australian wreath’ tea towel, $25
- Bold merry Christmas personalised apron, $54
- ‘Snow’ oreo moulds (set of 3), $33.50
- ‘Christmas delights’ oven mitt, $30.95
Christmas tree alternatives
Christmas trees don’t have to be green… or in fact even trees for that matter! Change it up and keep your house mess-free with these colourful and creative tree replacements.
- The ‘Skandi’ 3D Christmas tree wall decal, $99.99
- Wooden Christmas tree, $379
- Red Christmas tree wall decal, $55
- Pink and blue Christmas tree wall decal, $34.95
- ‘Baubles’ Christmas tree wall decal, $60
- ‘Map print’ Christmas tree, from $84
Shop our entire Christmas collection here.
Hardtofind is Australia’s leading online curated marketplace for gifts, fashion and homewares.