Steal their style: rustic furniture and coastal living
On New Zealand’s South Island, the Lidgard family have decorated their gorgeous home with reclaimed pieces and homemade furnishings. stylem magazine editor, Emma Wood, shows us how to steal their rustic beach house style.
New Zealand is a beautiful place full of magical inspiration, and its homes are no exception. Featured in stylem’s last issue, Black Miller is the wonderfully creative home of the Lidgard family in Kaikoura, in the South Island. Named after a stream which runs through the property (and is also the power source), the home boasts a clever combination of rustic finds, inherited pieces, upcycled items and personal handicrafts.
This is a lounge room with character. Antique drawers handed down from great grandparents sit among comfy couches with handmade cushions, quirky lamps, bowls, wall prints and lots of other interesting pieces.
- Dandelion hemp rug, from $450
- Hand-woven Hungarian linen cushion, $85
- ‘Bright beads Africa’ light pendant, $395
- Bamboo salad bowls (set of 3), $88
- Turkish cotton navy ‘essence’ throw, $59
- Jute basket with leather handles, from $125
- ‘New and old’ table lamp with chrome head, $199.95
- Vintage quart milk bottles (set of 2), $35.90
- ‘Boheme charcoal stripe’ cushion, $129
- Cotton and bamboo Turkish towel in ‘red stripes’, $39
For a touch of serenity in tones of white and grey, the bathroom features handmade wall ornaments, Turkish towels, beautiful candles and personal products to bring effortless style to everyday essentials.
- Linen towels & hand towels (set of 4), $180
- Coffee scrub (sold in a set with mandarin & bergamot body wash), $59.95
- Jute bowl with white trim, from $35
- ‘Jardin zen’ candle, $39
- Supima cotton towels, from $30
- MenschMade gold-plated concrete vase, $249
- Concrete toothbrush holder, $39.90
- Concrete soap dish, $42.90
- Mandarin and lemon myrtle hand & body wash, $54.95
- Extra virgin olive oil soaps (set of 3), $34.50
stylem is a beautiful new Australian online magazine created by renowned stylist and former Executive Fashion Editor for Vogue Australia Emma Wood. Each month it covers fashion, homes and lifestyle for both women and children. To view the latest and previous issues, visit: www.stylem.com.au.
Hardtofind is Australia’s leading online curated marketplace for gifts, fashion and homewares.